Sunday, March 8, 2009

Red Velvet

How many of you have eaten red velvet cake before? Until Saturday I hadn't even seen this mysterious dessert in real life before. With all my time spent on the bakerella blog, and countless other baker blogs. I came across a picture of this intriguing cake.




Mmm I just had to make this, so following the directions on the site, I created my first masterpiece!

Everyone told me it was delicious and the cream cheese icing was to die for. Oh.. what? You wanted to see a picture of the cake? No. Your okay.

But if you really want to, keep scrolling...



....


.....



Are you really sure?????

....


.....



....



Okay here it is..


.....


.....


.....






Yeah it didn't look so good. I got impatient and didn't wait for the cake to cool, and then the cream cheese icing was all goopie. Plus I didn't add the amount of red food coloring the recipe called for;I just couldn't bring myself to add 2 oz. red food coloring. So it looked kinda purple. Anyways, apparently it tasted good. (I couldn't eat it after I made it) If I make this kind of cake again, I will not use the same recipe, and I will add the right amount of food coloring.

2 comments:

Grandma Buttons said...

I just now saw this posting - it may not have looked like a masterpiece but I bet it was very yummy!!

Rachel said...

That is so funny, because I once tried to make a red velvet cake that turned out looking a lot like the one that you made! Levi called it my "quasimodo" cake... I added the full amount of food coloring to the batter, but then it tasted like food coloring! And I too got impatient and iced it before it was fully cool. So I haven't been brave and tried another one. Bakerella makes them look so good, so I think I am going to break down and try it again. But I might stick with a box mix, and stick it in the freezer overnight before I try to frost it.